So saying my journey to Microsoft’s E2 Conference didn’t go to plan would be an understatement. Here is a quick rundown:
- Flight out of Brisbane delayed by over an hour;
- Missed connecting flight to Toronto;
- Got to do three laps of LAX due to a certain airline messing up my new connecting flight ticket;
- Lost my coat somewhere in LAX;
- Had the pleasure of a full pat down from a US customs officer due to forgetting to take gum out of my pocket when getting body scanned;
- Arrived 8 hours after originally planned only to find that my new airline lost my luggage;
- Oh and the next morning the hotel locked me out of my room
My luck turned around when I just so happened to meet fellow Australian MIE, Jess, in the elevator. Like a guardian angel, Jess pointed me in the direction of a shopping mall where I could begin the mission to feel human again.
After already spending a day in Toronto, Jess played tour guide and we went exploring. We just so happened to bump into a very “unique” St Patrick’s Day parade. Let’s just say it’s not every day you see an Irish hill billy float that included a man with his pants down sitting on an open toilet and a Chinese drumming group.
Later that evening, got to finally tick off something that has been on my bucket list for 25 years – attend a NBA game. It was everything I expected and more! Air Canada Centre is an amazing venue and to top it off the Raptors got the win and scored over 100 points – free pizza for everyone!
After the rocky start, the first day in Toronto has been pretty awesome. The locals have been really friendly including this lady we met walking her cat in the CBD as we were off to get dinner.